Disable or delete Instagram account
Taking a social media break?
Follow our instructions to find out a way to delete your Instagram account or take a brief break from the hugely popular photo-sharing app.
Instagram is one of the foremost popular social networks, with a staggering 800 million users globally.
The photo-sharing network is a great place to share snaps of your lifestyle with friends and family, and likewise see what they’re up to. It’s additionally a superb place to discover images around topics that interest you – from locations to animals, food and celebrities.
If you’ve tried Instagram and think it isn’t for you or you simply wish to get rid of it, you might be wondering how to delete an Instagram account. If you use the app it’s not obvious how to do it.
Follow the directions below to delete Instagram. Bear in mind that once you delete your account, all your photos will be removed permanently, therefore you may want to consider temporality disabling it instead. We’ll show you how to do that too.
You can’t delete Instagram using the app – it has to be done via a web browser, either on a smartphone, tablet or pc.
How to delete your Instagram account
- Go to Instagram’s Delete Your Account page and enter your username or email and password.
- Next to ‘Why are you deleting your account?’ use the drop-down menu to select a reason. These include ‘Privacy concerns’ and ‘Too busy/too distracting’.
- Instagram will try and keep you by making suggestions, however if you are determined to leave, re-enter your password in the box below and click on permanently delete my account.
How to deactivate your Instagram account
Temporarily disabling your account is a good solution if you simply want a break from Instagram, however don’t want to lose your photos, or think you might return to it in the future.
- Head to www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/temporary/. Instagram will warn you that can only disable your account once a week.
- Choose a reason for disabling your account from the menu.
- Re-enter your password and click ‘Temporarily Disable Account’.